The one food we waste the most in this house are bananas. They get ripe so quickly and before I know it, they are no longer good to eat. I refuse to waste another banana, so I found this great recipe for Healthy Banana Bread at Cookie + Kate, and made my own alterations to make it even cleaner.
1/3 cup Olive Oil
1/4 cup of maple syrup
2 large ripe bananas
1/4 cup of milk (I used Vitamin D)
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
3. Combine oil and maple syrup in a large bowl and whisk.
4. Add the eggs and beat well, then whisk in the mashed bananas and milk.
5. Add in baking powder, vanilla, cinnamon and whisk.
6. Add in whole wheat flour.
7. Pour batter into greased loaf pan and add a dash of cinnamon to the top.
8. Bake 60 minutes. I usually poke the loaf with a toothpick around 50 minutes to see how it’s coming along. At 60 minutes the toothpick should come out clean (if not, cook longer).
9. Let cool, slice and serve!
I put the leftovers in the fridge, and toast the slices when I’m ready to eat again. I top with butter and also a cinnamon honey spread. My toddler approves!
If you have good recipes for ripe bananas, please share in the comments below!