My son is learning about seeds in preschool, so he decided it would be a good idea to smash one of our mini pumpkins to look at the seeds inside (I can’t make this up). Instead of tossing the pumpkin we dug out the seeds and roasted them!
This was a fun snack to make, from start to finish, with my son’s help. Here’s what we did:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Clean the seeds! Try to get as much of the pumpkin guts off as you can. I like to soak them in water for a few minutes then pour through a strainer, and most of the pumpkin should come off.
3) Transfer them to a boil and toss in 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil (depending on how many seeds you have).
4) Spread seeds out over a baking sheet covered in parchment paper or foil.
5) Sprinkle garlic salt over the seeds. If you like them salty, don’t hold back!
5) If you have small seeds from a small pumpkin, you probably only need to bake them for 15 minutes. If you have larger seeds, they probably need 30-40 minutes. Halfway through you can toss them a little on the pan so they cook evenly.
6) Let them cool and enjoy!
Has anyone ever tried making cinnamon/sugar pumpkin seeds? If so, I want to hear how they came out!